Monday, February 23, 2009

Christian History

I know some folks wonder why I read some of the books I do.
Here is why.

I was brought up in Southern Baptist Churches (I'm a preachers kid). I have attended SBC churches the majority of my life. I was even a religion major at a Baptist school for a while.

Until a couple of years ago I had never even heard of Pelagianism or Semi-Pelagianism.
The Synod of Dort? What is a synod? Regeneration?

As they say in Texas I was like a cow looking at a new gate!
Since I really enjoy reading some forms of History and Theology, off I've gone.

I have just been totally fascinated with reading Reformation history and theology. I started with R. C. Sproul's book What is Reformed Theology?. That just made me want to read more. David Wells No Place for Truth was also very good (although it is more about how we have drifted since our country was founded). I also love reading Spurgeon or anything about him!

Well I think I've struck gold now. I've started reading Richard Muller's Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics (4 Vols). It is an analysis of the Rise and Development of Reformed Orthodoxy from 1520 to 1725. This is like reading a Tom Clancy novel (at least it is to me).

Since I'm reading Calvin's Institutes daily (at least trying) I have a whole new respect and deep admiration for him. I don't know of another man in history that had his drive for Christ. Do you know that he wrote a 100 page book in one week? He also preached daily every other week as well as teaching and his other pastoral duties. This is just a tip of the iceberg of what Calvin accomplished for God.

I just thank God that I am now able to read about these great men of God and their history.

No comments: